Jim Duncan, CEO of SECO Energy, is congratulating the 12 graduating seniors from SECO’s service territory who have each been awarded a $3,000 scholarship.
SECO’s Board of Trustees first approved the scholarship program in 1996. In the 20 years since SECO began awarding the scholarships, it has pledged over $500,000 to 257 deserving high school seniors that live in the communities it serves.
“As a not-for-profit electric cooperative, Concern for Community is one of the seven cooperative principles that is near and dear to all of us here at SECO. I am thankful that our Board of Trustees has approved the continuance of the scholarship program for 20 years. As a business leader, it is exciting to meet future leaders first-hand as they begin to achieve their goals for their future,” said Duncan.
SECO’s Board of Trustees President Ray Vick looks forward to meeting the 2016 scholarship awardees. “As the Board President, I am proud that SECO continues to enable young people in the community to begin their career path by assisting in their education expenses. SECO has a number of technology focused careers available and I hope to have the opportunity to work with some of our scholarship awardees in the future.”
The applicants were evaluated based on their scholastic achievements, school and community service activities, and financial need. The 12 SECO scholarship awardees for 2016 are:
- Merari Flores Saldana from Ocala – West Port High School
- Megan M. Elliott from Tavares – Tavares High School
- Citlali Barragan-Hernandez from Summerfield — Belleview High School
- James C. Cato from Summerfield — Lake Weir High School
- Cayley L. Buckner from Silver Springs – West Port High School
- Melissa L. Moreno from Ocala – West Port High School
- Shelby C. Smith from Webster – South Sumter High School
- Ana J. Mata from Summerfield — Belleview High School
- Elijah T. Hughes from Bushnell – South Sumter High School
- Karla G. Carvajal from Wildwood – Wildwood Middle-High School
- Raul A. Bayas from Ocala – Vanguard High School
- Richanda M. Pierre from Ocala – West Port High School
The applicants were judged by SECO Energy’s Scholarship Committee of independent educators. The Committee chose 12 outstanding seniors based on the application materials each student submitted. Scholarship awardees and their families will be honored at a special reception at SECO Energy’s headquarters building in Sumterville on Monday, May 23, at 4:00 p.m.